Still KYRIOUS about superfoods? In the second part of our superfood series, Kyra is back to provide us with her rendition of a plant-based smoothie bowl, rich in nutrients and combined with homemade granola.
It's no question smoothie bowls have gained significant popularity recently in the health scene ever since the good ole’ acai bowl took reign. The idea of scooping up a thick creamy smoothie topped with granola, fresh fruit, nuts, and seeds makes this treat more like a well-rounded meal. This smoothie bowl is the perfect blend of all the elements that make you feel full, energized and happy. It’s like diving into a big bowl of sunshine with all of the superfoods your body could dream of. The smoothie itself is infused with the king of medicinal mushrooms, Chaga, and golden mulberries: two of the most powerful superfoods available on earth.
What makes a super food so super you might ask? These two natural substances pack a powerful health punch in such a small serving. The chaga mushroom grows on birch trees in the northern hemisphere and has been studied widely by scientists for their medicinal uses. This mushroom is packed with B-vitamins, vitamin D, potassium, amino acids, fiber, calcium, selenium, zinc, and iron, just to name a few. Chaga has also been studied to help slow signs of aging due to high exposure to sun and pollution. The high amount of antioxidants found in this mushroom may even reduce cholesterol, prevent cancer, lower blood pressure, reduces inflammation and lower blood sugar! You can see why these mushrooms are referred to as the king of the mushrooms; they’re never short of nutrients and antioxidants!
Mulberries, on the other hand, are another all-time potent superfood in this recipe. These berries are one of the top cancer-fighting foods due to its high potency of antioxidants. An antioxidant acts as a fighter in the body trying to neutralize all of the free radicals that the body intakes on daily basis from things like pollution, sunlight and hazardous food chemicals. These berries are also a great aid in digestion, lowing cholesterol, increasing circulation, slowing the aging process, and boosting the immune system. Together, chaga and mulberries make one superfood power couple! Am I right?
Blood Orange and Chaga Smoothie Bowl
(Yields 1 smoothie bowl)
1 Tbsp LEVO infused coconut oil
2 Tbsp raw cashews
2 soft medjool dates, remove pits
½ tsp lacuma powder
1 Tbsp dried golden mulberries
1 peeled blood orange
¼ cup frozen mango
½ cup steamed then frozen cauliflower
½ tsp chaga mushroom powder
½ cup coconut water ice cubes
1 cup water
1. Peel the rind from the blood orange.
2. Add cashews, dates, mulberries, cauliflower, mango, and ice to a blender first.
3. Follow up by adding the water, blood orange, dates and coconut oil.
4. Add the final dry ingredients.
5. Blend on high for 45 seconds until mixed well.
6. Pour the smoothie into a bowl and top with superfood granola, fruits, nuts, and seeds.
(Yields 3 cups granola)
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup chopped raw nuts of choice (walnuts, pecans and/or cashews)
½ cup pitted dates
½ cup coconut chips
½ cup dried mulberries or another berry of choice
¼ cup chia seeds
¼ cup LEVO infused coconut oil
1 Tbsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp maca powder
½ tsp salt
1/4 cup water
1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat over to 325F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl, add pitted dates. Cover with boiling water for 5 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, add oats, nuts, coconut chips, dried mulberries, chia seeds, salt, and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
4. Drain hot water from dates. Add to blender along with coconut oil, water, vanilla, and maca. Blend on high for 30 seconds.
5. Pour blended mixture into dry ingredients. Mix well.
6. Pour granola onto lined baking try and flatten onto the sheet.
7. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove and stir on baking sheet. Bake for additional 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
8. Remove from oven and let cool 15 minutes before serving.
Tune in for future superfoods recipes next month with Kyra.
Share what you make with @LEVO_Oil and be sure to tag it with #LEVOmade.
All images by Kyrious.co / Recipe by Kyra Mueller-Yamamoto